I accepted this prize as message from God, says first Aurora Prize Laureate

First Aurora Prize Laureate Marguerite Barankitse on Thursday visited the Cathedral of the Holy Martyrs in Gyumri to pray for the memory of the 1988 earthquake victims.
“This city was devastated in an earthquake. And the fact that we are now in this church is the triumphal march of love, and the victory of love over hatred,” she told reporters after paying respect to the deceased.
Barankitse was awarded the 2016 Aurora Prize for Awakening Humanity for her exceptional efforts to save numerous lives by giving the impoverished a chance to survive and build well-being.
After witnessing numerous brutal killings during the Burundi Civil War, she decided to create a humanitarian network in an effort to give home and food to 25 children. In 1994, the Roman Catholic Bishop of Ruyigi, Bishop Joseph Nduhirubusa agreed to transform a former school into a children’s shelter called ‘Maison Shalom’.

Barankitse said she is aware that only half the Gyumri residents now live in the city which once had a population of 200,000.

“I know also that you did find the courage to thumb through that sad and tragic chapter. I know that Charles Aznavour ’s song [“Pour toi Arménie” ] was born out of that terrible disaster,” she added.

Speaking of the special significance of the award, Barankitse said she accepted it as the gift of God, “as did St Mary after she learnt from Archangel Gabriel that she was going to bear the son of God”.

“And I said everything is in God’s hand. And may his will come true. I don’t have a homeland; I have left my country, and I accepted this prize as a special message from God encouraging me not to be ever afraid. With the donated money, I was able to inspire hope in children who had lost hope … It is really very important for me that the Armenian Diaspora – which could practically use the money to resolve different problems of the Armenian people – took such a generous step to offer its assistance. I see really grandeur about all that, and that’s what I especially appreciate,” she added.