Tekeyan Cultural Association 75th Anniversary Gala Remarks by Chairman Robert Menendez

October 15th, 2022

Thank you, Saro for that very kind introduction.

It is truly a pleasure for me and my wife Nadine to be here with you all this evening, among so many distinguished guests.

Including the representatives for both the Republic of Armenia at the UN, and Nagorno Karabakh here in the United States.

And let me also say thank you to everyone at the Tekeyan Cultural Association. Both for this beautiful gift and for this Appreciation and Recognition Award.

This award is especially gratifying as the cause of the Armenian people is a cause that is close to my heart.

And it is humbling to be honored for my dedication to the recognition of the Armenian Genocide, surrounded by so many others who have fought long and hard for the Armenian cause.

We stand on the shoulders of the brave people who came before us in this struggle.

Like those who came together to found the Tekeyan Cultural Association in Beirut in 1947. Only two years after Hilter’s defeat, which had left so much of the world in ruins.

Since those dark days, you have fought hard to keep the Armenian heritage alive.

And seventy-five years later, Armenian culture is flourishing, thanks to you.

Seventy-five years later, the Armenian Diaspora is thriving, thanks to you.

Seventy-five years later, Armenian newspapers and Armenian schools stretch across North America, Europe and the Middle East, thanks to you.

Seventy-five years later, we not only remember the Armenian struggle, the President of the United States, Joe Biden, calls the Ottoman Turks’ slaughter of the Armenian people by its true name.

He calls it genocide, thanks to you.

My friends, I am proud to have been a part of this effort.

Proud that even as American leaders and allies stayed silent on this issue, I did not.

Proud that I have blocked nominees from their positions because of their refusal to call the genocide what it is.

And I’m proud that I introduced or co-sponsored resolutions recognizing the Armenian Genocide every year—since the first year I came to the Senate—in 2006.

I have stood on the floor of the Capitol and urged administration after administration, both Republicans and Democrats, that we could not stand idly by as Turkey continued to cover up this crime.

This is about upholding our fundamental moral values.

This is about standing up for principles of justice and truth, no matter who is in office.

And I know it’s not easy. Turkey hired PR firms and lobbyists to influence the American policy.

They threatened to close American military bases.

President Erdogan even criticized me personally—calling me an enemy of Turkey.

Well if standing up to human rights abuses makes me an enemy of Erdogan…

If calling Turkey out for arming Azerbaijan and enabling the massacre of innocent Armenian civilians makes me an enemy of Erdogan…

If demanding that the Unites States recognize the truth about history makes me an enemy of Erdogan…

Then it is a badge I will wear with honor.

But my friends, one thing I can tell you as the Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, our work is not done.

When Azerbaijan launches a war that uproots 100,000 Armenians from their homes in Nagorno Karabakh, our work is not done.

When Azerbaijani forces are caught on video killing unarmed Armenian soldiers in a disgusting, cold-blooded war-crime, our work is not done.

That’s why I am calling on the Biden Administration to halt any and all assistance to Azerbaijan.

It’s why I introduced a bipartisan resolution condemning Azerbaijani forces’ illegal and unprovoked assault on Armenian territory.

It’s why I’ve written to the Secretary of State demanding that he revoke the waiver that allows Azerbaijan to continue receiving American military aid.

It’s why I’ve asked my staff to push USAID for more humanitarian assistance to help the victims of Baku’s barbaric violence—both in Armenia and in Nagorno Karabakh.

And it’s why I urged the Biden Administration to put sanctions on officials in the Aliyev [ah-LEE-ef] regime, and hold accountable those who have committed war- crimes.

Hilter may have once said “who remembers the Armenians?”

Well, we remember the Armenians.

We remember the crimes of the past. And we will remember the crimes they are carrying out today.

I look around tonight, and I see the determination and commitment of everyone in this room.

A commitment to peace and justice.

A commitment to the truth.

A commitment to defend Armenian history, Armenian culture and the Armenian people.

So let us all keep fighting for human dignity, no matter where it is under attack.

Let us all keep fighting to speak the truth, even if dictators prefer silence.

We must hold accountable those committing genocide today, even if it takes a lifetime.

And if we back up our values with actions, and have the courage to stand up for our principles, I believe we will triumph over tyranny.

God bless the Armenian people and God bless the United States of America!

Thank you.